Dry eyes might be a symbol of heroic presentation in a cinematic world but in real life, this may cause discomfort and sudden decrease in one’s ability to see. In medical terms, it is called dry eye syndrome. Top eye clinics in Gurgaon define dry eye syndrome as a condition in which your eyes don’t produce enough tears or you aren’t able to maintain a normal layer of tears to coat your eyes. As a result, your eyes are not able to eliminate dust and other irritants. This causes stinging, redness, pain and burning in your eyes. Furthermore, if your eyes have dry eye syndrome, your eyes may also be prone to bacterial infections or the surface of your eyes may become inflamed, causing scarring on your cornea. It may be noted that dry eye syndrome never causes permanent vision loss but it is very uncomfortable and must be treated at the best eye clinic near you.
According to the best eye specialists of Sohna road, tears have three layers, the oily outer layer, the watery middle layer, and the inner mucus layer. When the glands that produce the various elements of your tears are inflamed or don’t produce enough water, oil, or mucus, it can lead to dry eye syndrome. The people of age group 50 and more are at high risk of having dry eye syndrome. Below listed are few causes of dry eye syndrome:-
• Exposure to the wind or dry air, such as constant exposure to a heater during the winter
• Hormone replacement therapy
• Some medications, including antihistamines, nasal decongestants, birth control pills, and antidepressants
• Diabetic Patients
• Post-menopausal women are most likely to have dry eye syndrome
• Allergies like chronic allergies
• Staring at a computer and mobile screens for long hours
• Long-term contact lens wear
• Blinking less and exposure keratitis, which occurs from sleeping with your eyes partially open
• Aging (50 and more are at high risk).
• Vitamin A deficiency, which is unlikely if you get sufficient nutrition
• LASIK eye surgery
Some of the most common symptoms of dry eye syndrome are given below:-
• Burning sensation in the eyes.
• Redness in the eyes
• Watery tearing or string mucus in the eyes
• Difficulty in reading
• Uncomfortable in staring at computer and mobile screens for longer periods
• Blurry vision
• Eyes getting tired faster than they used to get before.
• The feeling of having sand in eyes
If you feel that you are experiencing some of the above-mentioned symptoms then without delaying visit an eye specialist right away. If you are looking for the best eye specialist in Gurgaon, visit Chopra’s Eye and Dental Clinic. After examining your condition and listening to your symptoms, they will make you undergo tests that check the amount of tears in your eyes. These tests include slit lamp, or biomicroscope, exam of your tears. The doctor will use dye such as fluorescein to make the tear film on your eyes more visible to conduct this test. Another test called Schirmer’s test is used to measure how quickly your eyes produce tears. This tests your rate of tear production using paper wick placed on the edge of your eyelid. In this way, the dry eye syndrome is diagnosed. Once it is diagnosed, the doctor will provide you the treatment which will help you to get rid of dry eye syndrome.